LATCH System Pointers | Mercedes, TX
As a family-owned dealership, Bert Ogden Auto Outlet takes safety quite seriously. That’s why we observe all CDC guidelines for COVID-19 at our dealership, including social distancing, mask mandates, and regular sanitation. It’s also why we carry used vehicles with top safety ratings and leading safety technologies.
Something every parent should look for in a used car on our lot is a LATCH system. LATCH stands for Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren. This system is an effective and secure way to latch your child’s car seat into the vehicle. Here are some tips for using your vehicle’s LATCH system:
- The LATCH system does have a weight limit that varies by manufacturer. Please check the weight limit in your owner’s manual before you utilize the LATCH system.
- The tethers and anchors included in the LATCH system can be difficult to find in some vehicles. You may have to dig behind the upholstery to locate them. Typically, automakers will include a symbol that makes them easier to spot.
- You will not use the seat belt when using the LATCH method. Tuck this away so it is easier to latch the car seat in and so that it does not swing freely during driving.
- Only one car seat can be attached to the anchor. If you have multiple children, they should be strapped in with their own unique tethers and anchors for their car seats.
- If you have a forward-facing car seat, use the top tether strap, as it can help reduce dangerous forward-head movement in the event of a crash.
- If you are stumped, the National CPS Certification Program connects you to child passenger safety technicians who can assist you with your questions about installing a car seat.
Do you need a new family-friendly vehicle? Check out the inventory at Bert Ogden Auto Outlet in Mercedes, Texas.